Monday, April 4, 2016

Castel Sant'Angelo

 The stunning building below is Castel Sant'Angelo in Rome. Fifteen years ago we stumbled upon this structure after getting lost in Rome. We had no idea what it was, but it was so beautiful with angels arching the bridge leading up it. On a clear day with a blue sky it is breathtaking. When someone told me the name of the structure, I decided immediately that when I had kids I would name my first boy Angelo.



And it was a special day when I got to return there with my oldest boy, Angelo


A little history - Built over several years around 130 AD by the Emperor Hadrian on the bank of the Tiber River. It was later used by various popes as a fortress and has a "not-so-secret" tunnel that connects it to the Vatican. The angels that arch the bridge are holding different elements from the Passion of Christ.


Some of the Angels:
Angel with the Cross


Angel with the Nails



 







1 comment: